Halkidiki félsziget

Useful information

Useful information:
Government of Greece: Unitary parliamentary republic.
Capital: Athens.
Official language: Greek.
Population: cca.10-11 million.
Area: 131 957km2, from which 107 000km2 are continuous, while the islands occupy more than 25000km2 (cca.1400 islands).
Time shift: +2 hours compared to England.
Official currency: Euro.
Electricity: 220V
Chalkidiki Peninsula:
 Chalkidiki is a peninsula that lies in northern Greece. Its area is of 2918 km2 and has a 522 kilometres long beach. The peninsula is located at just one hour distance from Thessaloniki, the second biggest city of Greece. Many people call the peninsula the secret Paradise of Greece because of its beaches having crystal clear turquoise water, soft sand and an incredible landscape offered by the untouched nature. The best word for describing the climate of Chalkidiki is: duality. While the beach is characterised by Mediterranean climate, the inland part is more Continental. Similar to our country, the summer starts in June and the temperature is also about the same, around 30 °C. The warm sunshine of the summer can be enjoyed until October. The peninsula resembles a hand with three "fingers": Kassandra is the first one from west, Sithonia is the second one, a much friendlier part, and Athos is the third one. The latter one got its name from Mount Athos, the densely forested mountain located here, which is also called “Holy Mountain” because of the Monastic republic that lays here. Chalkidiki’s capital is Polygyros, a city located 550 metres high in the inner side of the peninsula, by the foot of Mount Cholomontas. Besides being the capital city, it works also as centre of economy. Polygros has a population of 4400 people. Chalkidiki-peninsula is the territory owning one of the most beautiful natural resources; diversified beaches, rocky sea bays, pebbly or sand beaches promise visitors an unforgettable time and relaxation.
Mediterranean. The climate of the country is characterised by dry, warm summers, in august even 40 °C is possible
Religion: 98% of the population practices Orthodox religion, the remaining 2% is Roman Catholic, Muslim or of another religion.
Drinking water:
It is not recommended to consume tube water; one should rather drink bottled-water.
To England: 0044-prefix-phone number.
Local transport: 
Local bus service provides the connection between the townships. The prices of the bus-tickets depend on the distance; usually vary between 1-10 euros. The busses are going until late in the evening. Transportation by night is provided by taxies and the rentable cars, motorcycles or bicycles
Museums and antic monuments are usually opened everyday from 9:00 to 15:30, except of Monday.
The prices of the entrance-tickets vary between 5-20 euros, depending on the museum itself.
Greek kitchen:
The most known and spread food is gyros, but souvlaki is also a preferred one. People who prefer vegetarian food can try moussaka, which is a one-course dish from pleated tomato and eggplant. Fresh seafood is recommended to consume in every form. Besides this, another speciality is roast feta-cheese, the so called saganaki, or the tasty desserts, such as the different refreshing fruits and honey-cakes. A delicious frappe, one of the most popular refreshment drinks, will cool you down during the day. In the evening you are advised to try the special Greek resin wine, the so called kumquat liqueur, or the best known anise-flavoured rape-brandy, the ouzo
Good to know!: 
The Greek lifestyle is much slower than ours. The Greek weekdays start only around 9 o’clock and last until 2 o’clock in the afternoon. This is followed by the afternoon-siesta, when the shops are closing and everybody spends his time relaxing. After this, the Greek evening starts around 7 o’clock p.m., refilled with energy it jumps long into the night.
Important Phone numbers:
Agios Nikolaos
Health Center
Polygyros Central Hospital
 Fire departments:
Polygyros Central Fire department
Neos Marmaras Fire department
Chalkidiki Fire department Volunteers